19 September 2013

standing











standing  ©fourteenth






I Am Not I

By Juan Ramón Jiménez
Translated By Robert Bly
 
I am not I.
                   I am this one
walking beside me whom I do not see,
whom at times I manage to visit,
and whom at other times I forget;
who remains calm and silent while I talk,
and forgives, gently, when I hate,
who walks where I am not,
who will remain standing when I die.





Juan Ramón Jiménez, “‘I Am Not I’” from Lorca and Jiménez: Selected Poems. Translation copyright © 1973 by Robert Bly. Reprinted with the permission of Beacon Press.


Source: Lorca and Jimenez: Selected Poems (Beacon Press, 1973)


















2 comments:

  1. I am not I. how our language bounds us and yet when pushed upon, how our language catapults us to where we need to be.

    love Bly's translations of Jiménez 's poetry))

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je trouve ce poème magnifique, et splendide cette photo en noir et blanc

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
fourteenth2009 - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Check

Blogs I follow

Life-travelers